The Chefs' Table Series TV Show
Real Deal Mike Black Prepares Three Dishes for Your Own Football Championship Party!
Chef & co-owner Mike Black of The Real Deal, locations in West Roxbury, Jamaica Plain and Brighton-Cleveland Circle, demonstrates to the LIVE audience at the Sons of Italy Lodge in Roslindale three dishes to wow guests for your own Football Championship Party! Along with Joe Murphy, co-host of The Chefs’ Table Series, Mike prepares the following; recipes are below.
Meatball Sliders with Parmesan Crisp & Fresh Basil
Buffalo Chicken Mac’n Cheese
Wild Mushroom Ravioli with a Marsala Cream Sauce
Margery Gann of Ethose shares her nutritional tip on lentils – great source of nutrition and easy to prepare. She discusses three types of lentils black, brown and red. There are 230 calories in a cup of lentils;18 grams of protein per cup; 40 grams of carbohydrates per cup and 6 grams of fiber.
Carol O’Connor visits Mike Black at The Real Deal in Cleveland Circle. Mike talks about the concept behind The Real Deal, the three locations and Sugar Bakery, how he comes up with the names and ingredients of the sandwiches and dishes, and Carol and Mike have a common eating habit – how to eat a cupcake.
Meatball Sliders w/ Parmesan Crisp
1 lb Ground Beef (or mix of your choice)
½ cup breadcrumbs
¼ cup tomato paste
2 tbsp sauteed or roasted garlic
¼ cup fresh parsley chopped
½ cup grated romano cheese
tbsp salt and black pepper
1 QT Tomato Sauce (family recipe)
2 cups shredded parmesan cheese
Non stick pan spray
12-15 Basil leaves (chiffonade)
Doz Slider Rolls
- Preheat oven to 350.
- On a foil lined baking sheet, coat with pan spray.
- Make 2 inch round piles of parmesan cheese (no more than ½ inch in height) leaving 2 inches between each.
- Bake in oven for approx. 8-10 min or until a golden yellow color.
- Be sure not to over cook.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- After cooled they should remove easily as a crisp.
Meatballs: combine all ingredients in a large bowl and mix well. In a heavy bottom frying pan or sauce pot over medium heat, add 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Carefully add formed meatballs (2 inch rounds) to the pan. Brown on all sides. Pour tomato sauce over meatballs. Allow to simmer for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
Sliders: Cut rolls in half. Add 1 meatball to each. Top with fresh basil and 1 parmesan crisp. Serve. Enjoy!
Buffalo Chicken Mac n’ Cheese
1lb Box cavatappi Pasta
1/4lb butter (1stick)
¼ cup flour
4 cups whole milk
¼ lb American cheese (deli style, not packaged)
¼ lb sharp white cheddar
2 cups boneless buffalo chicken cut into bite size pieces (grilled, baked frozen breaded tenders or fried fresh) tossed with Frank’s Buffalo Wing Sauce
½ cup crumbled bleu cheese
¼ cup sliced green onions
In salted water, boil pasta until al dente.
- Cheese sauce: In a heavy bottom medium sauce pan, add butter, melt.
- Add flour to create a lite roux.
- Mix well and simmer for 1-2 minutes.
- Add milk to the pan and bring to a low simmer.
- Slowly add cheeses while whisking constantly until cheese is fully melted and sauce is creamy and thick.
- Be sure not to boil or risk a broken sauce.
- Add salt and pepper to taste if needed.
Pour half of your cheese sauce over cooked pasta. Add more cheese sauce to desired creaminess. Add buffalo chicken pieces and fold into mixture. Garnish with crumbled bleu cheese and sliced green onion. Serve. Enjoy!
Wild Mushroom Ravioli with Marsala Wine Sauce
1 pint Crimini Mushroom or Mix of your choice (white mushrooms not recommended)
½ cup dried porcini mushroom (just cover with warm/hot water)
¼ lb butter
1 large shallot (chopped)
tbsp Olive oil
tsp red pepper flake (optional)
½ cup marsala wine
½ heavy cream
⅓ cup grated Romano cheese
¼ cup fresh parsley (rough chopped)
kosher salt and fresh black pepper to taste
- In a heavy bottom deep frying pan or medium sauce pot over medium heat, add olive oil and half of the butter.
- Add shallots and fresh mushrooms to the pan.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Sauté until mushrooms are browned.
- Add red pepper flake and marsala wine.
- Reduce wine for aprox 1 minute.
- Add water from rehydrated dried mushrooms.
- Chop the rehydrated mushrooms and add to the pan.
- Add remaining butter and heavy cream.
- Bring to simmer for 1-2 min.
- Add Romano cheese and half of the fresh parsley.
- Sauce should be a light brown in color and thicken after the Romano cheese is added.
Ravioli: We recommend Serino’s Wild Mushroom Ravioli available at many local markets. (2) 1 pound bags.
Simply add to boiling water until heated through.
Pour marsala wine sauce over cooked raviolis and garnish with remaining fresh parsley. Enjoy!
Tagged Brighton, Buffalo Chicken Mac’n Cheese, Carol O'Connor, Chefs Table Foundation, Cleveland Circle, cooking, cooking show, educational, Eric Battite, Ethos, Football Championship, Jamaica, Joe Murphy, Margery Gann, Meatball Sliders w/ Parmesan Crisp, Mike Black, nutritional, recipes, Restaurant Interview, social, Sons of Italy Hall Roslindale, The Big Game, The Chefs' Table Series TV Show, The Real Deal, West Roxbury, Wild Mushroom Ravioli with a Marsala cream sauce