The Chefs' Table Series TV Show
Davio’s Northern Italian Steakhouse – Potato Gnocchi with Wild Organic Mushrooms and White Truffle Oil
Culinary Director of Davio’s Northern Italian Restaurant Rodney Murillo is the featured guest on The Chefs’ Table Series. Chef Rodney teaches co-host Joe Murphy and the audience at the Davio’s Chestnut Hill location how to make hand rolled potato gnocchi with wild organic mushrooms and white truffle oil.
Ciro Pirone, Italian wine specialist of the show chooses a Barolo to be paired with the potato gnocchi; discover the history about this wine, Gianni Gagliardo Barolo G.G. Docg
Carol O’Connor, co-host, sits with Chef Rodney Murillo to discuss his background, his passion for cooking and how he has stayed with Davio’s for many years.
Homemade Potato Gnocchi
Makes approximately 8 – 10 servings
(Approximately 125 gnocchi)
2 ¼ lbs. Russet Potatoes
2 Medium Eggs
1 ½ Cups Sifted Flour
½ Cup Parmesan Cheese (Grated)
¼ tsp. Salt
¼ tsp. Pepper
- Boil Potatoes until tender.
- While hot, strain, peel and put through the ricer.
- Set aside, let thoroughly cool (this can be done the day before).
- On a board, form a “mountain” with cooled riced potatoes.
- Add sifted flour, parmesan, salt & pepper.
- Make a hole at the top of the mountain and add the eggs into hole.
- Working for the eggs out, begin mixing eggs with potato until well blended.
- Cover with a slightly damp cloth or a bowl and let rest for 30 minutes.
- Roll dough into 2 foot long rolls about the size of a quarter in diameter.
- Cut into ½ inch pieces.
- Delicately dust with flour and place into a plastic container (only one layer with plenty of room).
- Cover and Freeze until ready to cook. (Once frozen, the gnocchi can be transferred into zip lock
bags. The gnocchi can be kept frozen up to one month.)
Bring 12 quarts of salted water to a rapid boil, add frozen gnocchi, cover and cook until water returns to a boil. Uncover, cook for an additional 2 minutes OR until the gnocchi begin to float. Strain gnocchi, add your favorite sauce, serve immediately in a warm, shallow bowl.
Serve 10 gnocchi as appetizer or 20 gnocchi as an entrée.
Davio’s Wild Mushroom, Garlic, White Truffle Oil
1 lb. Wild Mushroom Mix
3 Cloves Garlic, sliced thin
3 tbsp Olive Oil
Salt & Pepper to taste
Splash White Truffle Oil
- Place Sauté Pan Over Medium Heat, When hot add olive oil & sliced garlic. Brown Slightly.
- Add Wild Mushrooms & toss well.
- Turn Heat to Medium and Cook Mushrooms until Slightly brown. Tossing oftern.
- Season to taste with Salt & Pepper. Add splash of truffle oil.
- Toss Well.
Optional Garnish After Tossing with Gnocchi:
Add chopped fresh Italian Parsley and/or Shaved Parmigiano.
Tagged Chefs Table Foundation, Ciro Pirone, Culinary Director Rodney Murillo, Davio’s Chestnut Hill, Davio’s Northern Italian Restaurant, Gianni Gagliardo Barolo G.G. Docg, Homemade Potato Gnocchi, Italian Wine, recipe, Restaurant Interview, The Chefs' Table Series, wine pairing